Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Dueling surgeons

My brother took me to the hospital for the surgery the day after I met with the new GYN oncologist. The surgery was scheduled for 2:00 PM, but we had to be there at 11:00 AM. I sat there from 11:00 to 1:00, and then they called my name. I am not sure why we needed to be there in the waiting room for two hours, but maybe if some of the patients had chickened out, my time would have been moved up. So we were there in the lounge area with some Walmart shoppers and lots of vending machines and coffee, in case I needed to be reminded that I hadn't eaten since midnight.  

They called my name and I went back to my own, little, open walled room with curtains. They pulled the curtains, and I took off my clothes and put them in a bag and put on the gown, open in the rear. I was also told to spread the gown open, so I wasn't lying on it. Then, I met some really nice nurses who took my vitals and stuck an IV in me. I am always relieved after the IV is in. I always let everyone know how much I hate it, and where the best place is to stick me, but they usually do what they need or want to do. This one went in the back of my hand, and I am not fond of having needles there. I put my hand under the covers, so I wouldn't have to see it. I had two heated blankets on me and that felt great. They called my brother back and he sat with me, until it was time to go to surgery. The colorectal surgeon, whom I had not met yet, came into my "room" and introduced herself. She was very warm and had a big smile, when she introduced herself. I had already seen photos of her from my research on the various cancer doctor in the city, so I knew who she was. I told her I was so glad that she was helping me. She took my hand (I wouldn't give her the one with the IV in it!) and left. Actually, she did not take my hand with her, she gave it back to me and left. A few minutes later, the nurse came in and said she was giving me something to relax me, and that's the last thing I remember.  

The GYN oncologist and the colorectal surgeon operated in tandem to get deep core samples of the vaginal and rectal masses. I am grateful that I was asleep for this, and not just because it would have really hurt. The surgery was at a teaching hospital, and it's possible that there were students watching me in the grandstand. I'm sure snickering is frowned upon, but some people can't help themselves. Luckily Kramer was not there eating Junior Mints which might have fallen into one of the two openings. I hope I didn't say anything rude or inappropriate during the procedure, although I believe the anesthesiologist had put something down my throat to help me breath. My tongue is still numb on the tip. I probably rubbed it against whatever was in there the whole time the surgery was going on, like when you have a sore in your mouth and you keep rubbing your tongue against it. And luckily, I don't know sign language and wouldn't have moved my right hand anyway, because it had the IV in it.    

I think the surgery lasted more than an hour, but I could have been in recovery for some period and not been aware of it. I don't think we left there until about 6:00 PM. My nurse in recovery was a very nice, tall, good looking guy with a great smile who was a bit younger than I. The nurses only have their first names and last name initial on their badges, so I have not been able to stalk him as I would have liked.  

The surgery was a week ago, and I am still waiting on the results of the biopsies. Waiting makes time go  v e r y   s l o w l y.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message. It will be reviewed and posted if deemed appropriate and less offensive than the blog is.