Friday, February 7, 2014

I'll take "radiation side effects" for $400, Alex.

My good news from Dr. BigHands was followed by some other news from the MRI and CT scans. Apparently, there is still something at the site of the cancer, although it's smaller than the cancer was, and it hasn't been determined if it is cancer. It may be scar tissue or radiation reaction or granulomas. The radiology doctors who read the scans did not come out and say it was cancer, but they hinted that it could be. At least, I think that's what they said. It was in some foreign language, or it may as well have been. I could barely pronounce some of the words, much less understand them. Here is a sampling. Marcel Proust would have been proud of the first sentence:

"Again noted is positive treatment response with persistent thickening and irregularity of the rectal wall approximately 9 cm from the anal verge along the omental aspect from approximately the 12:00 to 6:00 position, measuring approximately 2 cm x 1.4 cm with persistent areas of restricted diffusion as well as scattered patchy enhancement." 

"Adjacent blooming artifact in this region is noted."

I don't know whether to be proud or nervous.

On Valentine's Day, I will be getting a PET scan to see if it picks up cancer there. I think my medical oncologist said that it would be definitive, if it found cancer, but if it did not, I would need further testing, such as a scope to see what is actually there.

So, I'm not out of the woods yet. I'd like everyone to say a prayer or send good vibes or visualize that there is no cancer remaining and that whatever is there is something I can live with. My guts tell me that it's not cancer, but my guts forgot to tell me when the cancer first showed up, so I'm not sure how reliable they are. 

I'll post again after I get the results of the PET scan which should be on 2/17 after I meet with my medical oncologist. I'm hoping that the PET scan shows nothing, and that the subsequent scope will also show no cancer and that all systems will be a "go" for a colostomy reversal. 

4 comments:

  1. Crap. Talk about a punch in the gut. (All attempts at puns and levity intended in light of your posting, and intended to elicit a smile in a difficult situation).We will all keep a good thought and figure that anyone named Dr. BigHands just has to be right! Good vibes, thoughts, prayers and visualizations sent your way - we are all pulling for you, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear the news! Prayers are going up for you tonight and will continue. Let's hope this is just a bump in the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, the adjacent blooming artifact sounds like it could be a lovely antique rose. Roses on Valentine's Day?
    Praying that the PET scan finds no cancer, that you will be able to proceed toward perfect health!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, OK. The adjacent blooming artifact, perhaps a lovely, antique rose? Roses for Valentine's Day!
    We are both longing for your return to splendid health for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your message. It will be reviewed and posted if deemed appropriate and less offensive than the blog is.