Monday, February 17, 2014

I can see clearly now, the cancer's gone

I met with the medical oncologist today, and he was more upbeat and confident this time than he was the last time I met with him. He said the news was good, and that I appear to have some scar tissue from the radiation, but the cancer is gone. I read the radiologist's report, and it sounded much better than the first PET scan I had in August. My tumor had been 5.3 cm x 5.6 cm and the standardized uptake value, SUV, was 11.8.  

SUV refers to the level of activity in a specific area compared to activity elsewhere. Cancer cells are the fastest growing and show the highest SUVs. The baseline of 1 is normal activity while anything higher that 2.5 can indicate metastatic cancer. It can also indicate inflammation which can be the result of radiation, surgery, or injury. Now, the "mass has significantly decreased in size and intensity of FDG uptake." What is now seen at the site of the cancer appears to be about .9 cm x 1.9 cm and the FDG uptake is similar to the background tissue and is "likely representing treated disease with mild post radiation inflammatory change; however, continued attention on followup is recommended to exclude small volume residual disease." My limited understanding of the FDG uptake is that there is glucose in the radiotracer and cancer likes sugar, so where there is cancer you will see a lighter, brighter shading on the scan. The metabolic activity of cancer cells causes them to appear "hot" on PET scans. My SUV is now a "maximum of 2.0," and my lymph nodes also looked good. 

So, I feel pretty good about this and am hopeful that the next PET scan in 3 months will show the same or better results. Maybe by then, someone will develop a better tasting pre-test liquid, because what I had was awful. I don't even know what it was for, because they injected the radiotracer in my port. I did get a nice surprise when I started drinking the second glass, because it tasted like water. After several sips, I realized it was water. Things are not always what they seem.

2 comments:

  1. Thank God for any positive results! Keep on keepin' on girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY HOO RAY HOORAY! I've been prayin' and believin' and now I'm just jumpin' up and down. Love, Mamacita.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your message. It will be reviewed and posted if deemed appropriate and less offensive than the blog is.