Saturday, August 31, 2013

Oh, the Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman feelin' bad - J. Mayo Williams

Something cool happened to me today, which really picked me up. If you aren't aware, I am a huge fan of The Blues. One of my friends in California is also the person who persuaded me to write a cancer blog. He wrote one when he went on his cancer ride last year. His cancer is in remission. Yay for M! He is also friends with a wonderful Blues writer, singer, and harmonica player and his lovely wife, Charlie and Henri Musselwhite. (I heard Charlie perform when I lived on Maui back in the early 90s. He played at an upcountry bar/restaurant named Casanova's.) During one of M's and the Musselwhite's get togethers, M. told Charlie and Henri about my grace and humor under fire. Charlie and Henri responded by giving a gift to M. to send to me. It was one of Charlie's CDs with a lovely hand written message on the CD's cover: "Kind wishes to Nancy. Get well fast. Music is healing and even John Lee Hooker said "blues is a healer." - Charlie and Henri with Love."

The CD they sent me (Henri is Charlie's producer), Juke Joint Chapel, is a great Blues CD! It's got so many upbeat Blues Songs, and I need that right now. (If only it could cure indigestion, too!) I turned it up loud, and it sounded great as all good music does. I can't wait to play it in my car, and I know the people driving near me will be happy to hear it, too.

They also sent me the Dalai Lama Cancer healing chant with this note: The Dalai Lama has requested this CD to be copied and distributed freely. I will listen to this when I'm not so wired! 

I've put together a list of Blues songs that includes some of my all-time favorites, as well as others whose titles paint a chronological story of my illness, as I see it doing down (or coming up.)

It Ain't Right
Messin' With the Kid
My Starter Won't Start This Mornin'
I'm Tore Down
Stop Breakin' Down
How Long, How Long Blues?
Blues, Why Do You Worry Me?
Back Door Man - reference to the origin of my cancer - ;-)
Hellhound On My Trail
Help Me
Got To Be Some Changes Made
Boom Boom
Give Me Back My Wig
That Ain't No Way to Treat a Lady
I'm Ready
Don't Look Back
We're Gonna Make It
River Hip Mama
Everything Gonna Be Alright
Wang Dang Doodle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBsrx40fiX0 - I love this early version by Koko Taylor

Thanks to M. for suggesting that I write a blog which continues to help me through this unplanned and uncharted journey. It's also going to be a good way for me to remember what happened, when I'm a mean, much older crone with a worse memory than I have now. And thanks to the Musselwhites, who did a kindness for someone they don't know. And many, more thanks to my family, friends, and Mother Nature, all of which have given me a greater appreciation for what is really important in this life, which is, of course, family, friends, and Mother Nature. Each one has helped me ride out the storm and see the light on the other side - not THAT other side!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message. It will be reviewed and posted if deemed appropriate and less offensive than the blog is.