Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mama's got a squeezebox she holds under her chin

I'm probably past the point of remembering much about the first three chemo infusions I had as an inpatient procedure two weeks ago. But I'll see what I can dredge up. On August 13, a bed was available in the chemo wing of the hospital, courtesy of a nurse friend of mine who had obtained a room for me. My brother and his wife took me there with all the comforts of home: iPhone, laptop, speakers for iPhone, chargers for phone and laptop, books, and my robe for walking and not exposing my ever shrinking ass. I didn't take my PJs, because if I'm going to vomit or poop on anyone's PJs, I don't want it to be mine. What I wanted most to take were my dogs and cat, but that didn't seem like a good idea to anyone but me.

So, I met my very nice nurse for the next 12 hours, and he filled me in on what was going to happen and introduced me to my CA for the next 12 hours. I must say that all the nurses and CAs in this wing of the hospital were very nice and knowledgeable. Even the woman from housekeeping was upbeat and we talked about Blues artists whenever she was there. The nurses and CAs still came in regularly to check my vitals, but that's part of the drill. 

I had barely gotten into my hospital gown (opens in the rear) and in the bed when the nurse announced that I had a visitor. I was incredulous. It was the former CEO of the hospital who was on a Board with a mutual friend. She had told him I was there and he came to visit. He was very nice and funny and informative and stayed for a long time. He started my stay out on a positive note. It didn't hurt that the nurses noticed who my first visitor was!

My first night's infusion did not begin until 8:00 PM. That would not have been a problem, except that there were three infusions the first night, and they began with some preventative drugs to keep side effects in check, then the first drug was administered in a drip over a three hour period. After the first drug was in, they started the second drug with a preventative drug, and it lasted for two hours. Then, there was a third drug, preceded by a preventative drug and the third drug is administered over a two hour period, too. They wanted me to stay awake, so I could alert them to any side effects, so I was up until 1:00 AM when all the drugs were in me, plus an additional hour from being jacked up over the events of the day. And of course, the CA and nurse and doctors came in at their regular scheduled times, which apparently is anytime the patient is asleep. 

One of the procedures that was followed for each infusion was comforting, but also made me think about how serious this was. Two nurses had to be present when the drugs were first started in the IV. My wristband was checked for the correct name and birthday, and one nurse held the orders while the other nurse described what was happening as far as what the drug was, and how much of it was being administered, and over what time period, as well as how much per hour was being given. The nurse who hooks up the chemo bags to the IV also had to put on a special gown and gloves in case any of the drugs were to spill. I can't remember if both nurses had to wear the protective coverings or only one, so don't quote me on this part.

When the doctors and students and interns made their early morning rounds the second day, I told them that I hadn't had any issues and felt pretty good. The Fellow warned me that things could change quickly. I said, "I don't care, I'm going to believe that days two and three will be as good as the first day was." He told me to keep that attitude. 

The second and third nights' infusions involved only one of the three drugs and they lasted for two hours each, but had to start at 8:00 PM when the first night's infusion started. These went without a hitch, too. 

I got through all three days of infusions without any issues, but when I woke up Friday morning, the day I was supposed to go home, I had a terrible headache with nausea and vomiting. Yep, it was a smart move to not wear my PJs after all. So, I wasn't allowed to go home, but honestly, I felt so terrible that I wanted to stay in the hospital. They kept pumping me with fluids and potassium and magnesium which were both low. I couldn't stand the thought of eating anything, especially anything the kitchen was offering me, and they weren't going to let me go home until I could keep something down. They gave me anti-nausea drugs and pain meds. Friday was spent in bed and in misery. Saturday, I felt a little better. The headache was gone, but the nausea was still around. I found that they have a new vomit bag (new to me) which is like a squeezebox with one end closed.  You vomit in the open end (be sure to hold the correct end next to your mouth!) and the vomit expands the bag AND measures how much you vomited. If you are not aware, they measure EVERYTHING in the hospital: pee, poop, vomit, fluids in, drugs in etc. (I took several vomit bags home with me and now have them in each room for quick access. It makes a great conversation piece, too!) In the early afternoon, I ordered the only thing that I thought I could keep down: two hard boiled eggs. I ate one and left the other. A few hours later, one of the doctors arrived to say I could leave, since I'd kept the egg down. I called my brother and he came to pick me up a little while later. Luckily, I held a vomit bag on the ride home and managed to produce some bile in it. Neither my brother nor I measured how much. And, the egg stayed down!  

1 comment:

  1. The chemo drugs have not apparently affected your upbeat writing style. You still manage to turn what must be unpleasant experiences into amusing anecdotal and informative prose. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your message. It will be reviewed and posted if deemed appropriate and less offensive than the blog is.