Saturday, August 31, 2013

Bad tasting food for thought

For two weeks, I have not eaten raw fruits or vegetables. My staple food is fruit. I love it. I normally eat from 5 - 8 servings of fruit a day. But I was told by someone in the hospital that I should not eat raw fruits or vegetables, because of the potential for infection from handling by others. Given the appearance of the typical customer at the grocery where I shop, this seemed like good advice. A few days ago, I called my chemo doctor's office and talked to his nurse about my constant indigestion, and whether I would need more blood work before my next appointment. She said "yes" to more blood work, and I said "I want someone to access my port and not stick me in the arm." She agreed to do that. We were also going over my most recent lab work. She suggested I eat grapes to boost one of the low numbers. I told her I couldn't eat raw fruits or vegetables. She laughed and said, "Who told you that?" I told her someone in the hospital - I think it was one or more of the nurses. She told me that was totally wrong, and that I could eat both. So, that's what I've been doing, and it's been great, except for the way some things taste now.

That night, I went to the grocery for the first time with my newly shaved head under a ball cap and bought fruit and vegetables and foolish things, like a can of organic tomato basic soup by Wolfgang Puck for $2.75. I'll let you know if it was worth it. My protein and iron were low, so I bought a Polish sausage, which I love to eat with spicy mustard. I don't understand what could be giving me constant indigestion!

My taste buds have become fickle, and I never know when something is going to go from bad to good or vice versa. Organic lemonade was great for awhile, so I bought several containers. Then all things sweet went to taste bud hell, and lemonade - and many other things - no longer tastes good. I bought orange juice to help improve another low blood test score, and it tasted terrible. It's one of the foods that has a metallic taste. I had bought the largest container in the store, too. Sometimes, I pour a small glass and drink it quickly, just to get some in me. I love sweets, but now, I can only take a very small bite and put it aside. Tomatoes are on the A-Okay list. I slice one and put some shredded mozzarella cheese, olive oil, and fresh basil on it, then heat it in the microwave. It's so good! My brother and sister-in-law have several fantastic gardens with flowers, herbs, and vegetables, and they gave me a bunch of home grown tomatoes and some basil to take home after my hair was buzzed off this past week. Last weekend, I went to their place - yes, I can drive - and we sat outside under a shade tree and talked and felt the breeze and watched the butterflies, birds, and bees flit about. It was so peaceful and comforting. 

Steak also tastes good and my housemate cooked them on the grill earlier this week. With the steaks, we ate some of the side dishes that my friend has been cooking for me every week. My housemate said if she ever opens a restaurant, he wants to know about it. Her food is amazing and she delivers it to me. Some of my family and friends have been sending her money to go towards my meals, and that has been great. Not just because I don't have to cook, but because if I did cook, I wouldn't eat my own cooking, unless it was microwaved tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil, and basil. 

For those of you who know me and are curious about my "housemate," he was a good friend and mentee of my brother who committed suicide earlier this year. He is in his late 20s, lives downstairs, and uses my kitchen when he wants. We have had a very comfortable living arrangement for about 8 years, and he helps with chores around the house. For the last few months, he has been walking the dogs every night with my neighbors (or me, when I'm feeling energetic) and going to the store when I need something. It's nice having him here, especially now, when I'm not quite up to par. 

At my doctor's appointment yesterday, he said that I had tolerated the aggressive chemo well and didn't think I'd have a problem with the next round in less than 2 weeks. I think I've done well, too, although it hasn't been without some bad/bald spots. But once I got over the headache, nausea, and vomiting while I was in the hospital (and my brother's car) and graduated to constant indigestion, hair loss, fatigue, and bad tasting food, it was a piece of cake. But I couldn't eat it, because it was too sweet. 

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading about your journey. Your courage, your determination to kick cancer's ass, and your open expression of love and appreciation of life in the forms of loved ones, friends, your dogs, right down to the perfection of watching while a butterfly or hummingbird has a snack from a bloom just outside your window, and the peace which comes from the wind blowing on your face. You have given me the inspiration to remember to slow down a bit; something which does not come naturally to me, as I am always in full throttle mode, and to take that tiny bit of time it takes to stop and to smell the proverbial roses. Keep writing kiddo, you are amazing, and I am SURE you are inspiring more than me alone! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your message. It will be reviewed and posted if deemed appropriate and less offensive than the blog is.